Tuesday, February 22, 2011

¿Dónde vives?

Well, I had my first experience with the doctor yesterday due to my week of hacking up a lung (my body is literally rejecting the idea of living in sevilla). I just assumed it would pass until my madre finally grabbed me Monday morning and said I had to go to the doctor so the rest of the apartment could sleep at night. Fair enough. So I dragged my roommate, Molly, along with me so we could muddle through whatever Spanish we had to deal with. When we go to the Clinica de Santa Isabel, it ended up looking more like a hospital to me then a clinic. I went up to the first counter and shrugged/si'ed my way through the first conversation to general medicine area. This is where the trouble began: 1. The girl at the counter looked at me like I was 8 (I'll never judge someone whose trying to speak English again, no matter what you say, you just sounds dumb). 2. When she asked me, "¿Dónde vives?" I didn't know my own address which added to her perception of my intelligence. Anyways, she was just plain rude and had no patience with me and Molly, and the line behind us just made us more nervous, tongue-tied, and stressed out. Anyways, I managed to get a number and get in like (for 2 hours) before I was able to see the doctor. Thinking the doctor would at least speak a little English (alot of people here do) I went only to find WRONG, just Spanish. Anyways she was extremely patient with us and she quickly gave me a percription (luckily I had a massive coughing attack in front of her to prove my sickness) and I was on my way. When I had to deal with the people back at the front desk, they were once again extremely rude, acting like I was an idiot. When I asked for my credit card back, they told me they had already given it to me, then after arguing awhile they realized it was on the counter...HAAAHAHAHAHAAA! I won and got my much needed drugs, so all together it was a success.

just a small supply of spanish drugs me and my roomie have been taking since our arrival in sevilla

I went to La Bachillera, which is a somewhat rough neighborhood north of where I live here in Sevilla (where mainly Gypsys live) to teach little kids English. Their class room is empty with only a chalk board, desks, and plastic lawn chairs...made me pretty thankful for the schools at home. I was surprised by how much I liked it! I never thought of myself as the teaching type, but I worked with one little girl for about an hour and a half and might sign up to teach the adult classes too now. I like to stay busy so I want to look into more volunteering here if I can. It's also so so great to practice Spanish (plus the little kids don't make me nervous).

I'm going to the Canary Islands tommorow! I can't wait! I definately underestimated the price of traveling though, between a place to stay, flights, bus rides, taxis, things to do, and food it's so so so expensive! i hope i can make the money i have stretch out for the semester. We're currently planning a trip to Italy/Greece during one week off and Ireland/Scotland during another.

see ya after the trip!

mrt

No comments:

Post a Comment